Tuesday, January 5, 2010

revolutionary nerd steroids article





Just read this article. Also read this book called No Logo. In loo of reading No Logo (and HRO), this article seems like it is trying to reflect a personal brand on the author. Kind of like the person writing the article doesn't actually believe in "nerd steroids" on a moral level, like Nancy Reagan or Jesus. Feel like this person is trying to keep their writing accessible to teenagers who are "on the fence" with using "nerd steroids" and need a push towards the "nerd steroids will make you schizo/bipolar" argument. feel like this is either very creative shitty nonfiction (the author probs had way more problems) or shitty fiction.

"Although Adderall is supposed to take around half an hour to take full effect, it seemed like almost instantly I had abandoned the pile of books on my desk and was plucking the strings of my Chinese instrument, realizing that music was the only really wonderful thing, and that all the essay crap I had cared so much about was a waste of time...I decided to drop out of school. It made me feel so relieved. I looked forward to travelling, reading books I love, and obtaining a real education free of stress, useless evaluations, and exhausting all-nighters stuck at my desk."

"6: 25 am
Grouping words into categories. This is better than sex."

"I am planning to work on dealing with my stress in healthy ways, rather than look for a job to support my drug dependency. I figure that if I do not learn how to cope with pressure I will burn out eventually."

from these quotes, it seems like the author is:
A. not street smart
B. book smart
C. probs a budding communist

I am glad i read this article. The site the article is from looks friendly to an alternative audience but still relevant from a pop culture stand point. Out of Baltimore. never been there. They have posted a story called " The Gentle Seduction " by Mark Stiegler. It was the second thing i clicked on after "music" where i saw desaparacidos and cass mccombs recommended by the staff. the gentle seduction begins with the line,
"He worked with computers; she worked with trees, and the flowers that took hold on the sides of the Mountain."
i am excited to read it. it was published in 1989.

1 comment:

  1. if I’d run another guest piece by him and this is it. Like the chocolate milk piece, I expect it to generate similar amounts of controversy. Steroid cycles uk

    ReplyDelete